OKAY, JUNE MAY BE IN THE RUNNING FOR THE BEST MONTH OF THE YEAR, BECAUSE OH MY GOD, IT SERIOUSLY IS, MAINLY FOR ONE REASON: ALA + MEETING FRIENDS! <3
KELLY CAME TO CALIFORNIAAAAAA.
YES. SHE DID. JUST IN TIME FOR ALA.
Her decision to accompany me to ALA was pretty late in the game, but whatever because she came! I was very happy because she was the first person in the book blogosphere I became friends with and the first book blogging person I met in person. Yeeeeeee. I had a blast showing her around (but oh my god, my feeeeettttt!).
ALA was the best event in the world!
SERIOUSLY THE BEST.
Book conventions are events that every reader and book lover should attend at least once in their life. It’s pure heaven!
I won’t bore you with the details (since I’m planning to write recap posts about it), but here are the awesome things that happened: I got awesome books that I’m really excited about; met Kelly, Nikki, Angie, Katie, Sydney, Vanessa, Anya, and Tabitha; took a selfie with my favorite author Patrick Ness; talked with publishers + librarians about books; attended the DC Comics panel; had an amazing conversation with Brenden Fletcher (writer of Batgirl, Gotham Academy, + Black Canary); and many more!
|SITTING ON MY BOOKSHELF|
GIFTED + WON
- Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula by Andi Watson
- Exquisite Corpse by Pénélope Bagieu
- This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki & Jillian Tamaki
- The Sculptor by Scott McCloud
- The Stranger (Last Man #1) by Bastien Vivès, Michaël Sanlaville, & Balak
- The Royal Cup (Last Man #2) by Bastien Vivès, Michaël Sanlaville, & Balak
|BLOG POSTS GALORE|
- Things I Would Say to Grace Wilde in Hello, I Love You
- Brutal Youth by Anthony Breznican
- Why You Should Read Delicate Monsters
- I Love You So Much That I Can’t Write A Review (It’s hard for me to write reviews for books I love!)
- June Graphic Novels I’m Excited About (+ You Should Be Too!)
- A letter to The Wolf Wilder on why I want to read this book!
- A letter to Truthwitch (Very much in neeeeed of this book!)
- Guest Post: God Bless America Chavez! – Charlotte created gorgeous comic wallpapers for you all!
- Blog Tour • Books the Characters in Brutal Youth Would Love + Why!
- Blog Tour • Books the Characters in Hello, I Love You Would Love + Why!
I fell in love with Black Canary.
Desperately, madly in love.
I follow a few comic book news site, and when I saw this cover, I fell in love with it. Black Canary, written by Brenden Fletcher and drawn by Annie Wu, is a new comic series that reimagines Dinah Lance as the lead singer of a rock band, where she has to protect her bandmates from the evil that’s after them. Doesn’t that sound awesome? It’s such a new reinvention of Dinah’s story. I needed it.
When I saw Annie Wu tweet about this gorgeous concert promo poster, I knew I needed to track it down. I forced my older sister to call the local comic bookstores (LCBS) to see if they had the poster (because I’m a wuss and felt awkward since I wasn’t comfortable talking with comic book folks). My LCBS had a poster that wasn’t exactly the concert poster, but it was the art work of Annie Wu, so I happily grabbed it and bought the first issue of Black Canary. The next week, I went back to my LCBS, and they finally had the concert poster I desperately wanted. *pumps fist*
Black Canary is really fucking awesome because it has everything I love: kickass ladies, found families, + gorgeous art. (I love it so much that I put an image from the comic as my phone’s background.) This comic deserves its own post, but since there’s only been one issue left, I decided not write it yet. But stay tuned!
|NOTE TO SELF FOR NEXT MONTH|
Read, read, read. Write, write, write.
I’ve been in the worst reading slump, but with the books I acquired from ALA, I should have a great reading summer right?! DEAR GOD, I HOPE SO. And I gotta write my ALA recaps, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I’M VERY TIRED, SO WE’LL SEE????