I’ve been noticing a trend lately in the books I reviewed—or at least, the books I haven’t reviewed at all even though I’ve been meaning to. I’ve noticed that those books are the ones that I loving so frickin’ much that they make my heart want to burst into confetti and dancing unicorns. (Obviously, not very healthy.)
After I read Jen @ Pop Goes the Reader’s top ten list of books she adored but never wrote a review, it made me think of the books on my own list and why I haven’t written a review for any of them. The books on my list that I could remember off the top of my head are:
I love these books so fucking much. How do I put my love for them into words that can accurately convey the awesome? HOW?!
I want to be able to show my love and appreciation for them! I want to shout from the rooftops, where people can gaze up at me and point at the crazy person, about why I love these books! However, sometimes, it’s hard though because all I want to do are three things:
- Thrust the book into people’s faces.
- Demand they drop everything with, “You have to read this book. Right now. Trust me.”
- Give them a wink that’s really an awkward face twitch.
I don’t want to do that! (Not all the time.) I want to be articulate and convincing. I want readers to read my love letter and go, “YES. I WILL READ THIS BECAUSE CEE SAYS SO!” I don’t love books easily these days, so it means a lot to me when friends and people I know are persuaded into reading my favorites. It’s an absolutely thrilling feeling!
I find that books that I don’t truly love are easier for me to review. I just want to write the review quickly and move on. With books I love, I tend to procrastinate. Why?
- I want to continue to revel in the awesomeness and the ~feels.
- I want to do the book a justice! Whatever words I use in the review need to perfectly convey every bit of awesome I love, and it takes a while for me to craft that. (This is my perfectionism at play here.)
- Words are inadequate when all I want to do is flail my arms and squeal in excitement.
- When I look at the book, my brain and my insides get me all gooey, leaving me with a dazed grin on my face and making me sigh.
Even though I haven’t written reviews for my recent loves, I will do it. With Eyebrow King Lee Pace on my side, I will get it done!
* Thank you to Charlotte for the clever discussion title. ;)