What a shit month, right?
Earlier this month, I woke up to an entirely new world, where people—women, POC, LGBTQIA+, disabled—fear for their future. That makes me so sad and angry and so fearful. I spent the first few weeks depressed, bursting into tears any time I thought about what’s going to happen. The first half of the month was absolutely shit. However the latter half? I guess it was good. (FYI, I’m absolutely not gonna talk about the bad here because it’ll pull me into a pit of despair.)
KEVIN WADA SAID HE LOVED ME!
Kevin Wada is AHMAZING. For those who do not know who he is, he is a fabulous + talented artist who does a lot of cover work for comics. (Just check out his gorgeous work here. He also did the art for the Six of Crow posters.) He and Ezekiel Kweku was doing a Q&A and signing at my local comic book store, so I made sure that day was free for me and my BFF. When Kevin appeared, he glowed, and I was in awe. One of these days I will write what happened—all the stories and anecdotes and awesome—but trust me, I fell more in love with WICDIV, my LCBS, + Kevin Wada.
During the signing, I brought the WICDIV #23 he contributed to, the Six of Crows poster (which he was surprised to see and asked if I got it from SDCC), and a autograph book. I bought two of the Morrigan prints + an Ororo postcard, and when I gave him exact change, he was thrilled! And he, word-for-word, said, “You brought exact change! I love you. I miss you already.” ?
I bought WICDIV prints.
Somebody stop me! Okay, so it was just only two prints, but look at the gorgeousness! The Morrigan (by Kevin Wada) and fucking Tara (by Tula Lotay). HEART EYES, MY FRIENDS. HEART EYES. ?
My little sister visited for our dad’s birthday.
My dad’s birthday is November 18th, so my little sister came to visit for a week. It was a somber occasion. My sister spent most of the time here out with friends. I’m kind of bummed she and I didn’t hang out but alas.
2016 YA Book Cover Choice Awards kicked off!
For those who do not know what the YA Cover Choice Awards is, it’s an annual awards that I created because I wanted to show appreciation for the book covers that had been published. It’s my baby, and it’s the third year!
The YA Cover Choice Awards have been better this year because I’ve organized everything up until the semi-finals round. Worried that finals round may be postponed a while because of unforeseen changes in my life. Never fear though! The finals round will be up! I’m extremely thankful to everybody who commented, nominated, and voted. It means a lot to me that you are excited about this Awards like I am!
|SITTING ON MY BOOKSHELF|
- The Double Life of Miranda Turner • Vol. 1: If You Have Ghosts
- Sex Criminals Vol. 1-3 by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
- Phonograms • Vol. 1 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (Not pictured)
- DC Bombshells • Vol. 2: Allies by Marguerite Bennett
- Paper Girls • Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang
- Catwoman • Vol. 6: by Genevieve Valentine
- Saga • Vol. 6 by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
Thank you for the books, Swoon Reads.
- The Inquisitor’s Tales by Adam Gidwitz (ARC) from Rachel
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff from Danielle
Thank you, ladies!
The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones
|BLOG POSTS GALORE|
- Cons of the Afflicted (Iron Cast by Destiny Soria)
- The Dream (This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills)
- Wheelchair Zombies + Psychic Vampires (The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones by Wendelin Van Draanen)
- TOO MUCH TBR · November 2016
- SINCERELY, CEE • A letter from yours truly to Drew Brockington & CatStronauts
- HOLY, MOTHER COVER! US vs UK • History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
- CURRENTLY READING • Three Dark Crowns & Where Am I Now?
YA BOOK COVER CHOICE AWARDS
- Prepare yourselves! 2016 YA Book Cover Choice Awards is around the corner!
- 2016 YA Book Cover Choice Awards • Get Nominatin’!
- 2016 YA Book Cover Choice Awards! · Semi-Final Round!
|NOTE TO SELF FOR NEXT MONTH|
Read, read, read. Write, write, write. Comics, comics, comics.
Alexa S. says
I definitely felt the same way you did at the start of the month! It was really hard. But it’s been better lately. Hope things continue to get better for you! <3