August had its ups and its down. This month was especially hard since it was the anniversary of my dad’s passing, and we had to deal with a bunch of other annoying things that happened. I wish to have a solidly good month.
My big sister came to visit!
Nothing is sweeter than having my big sister visit me. I love it when she’s here because we geek out about comics and such. I love having her around. She helped me deal with a few things (mainly pests), which I had been stressed out for weeks. I had work most of the days she was here, so I didn’t feel like we hung out a lot which sucks. We did some comic hunting (I convinced her to buy Lumberjanes, muahahaha) and looked at furniture (because I’m gonna be getting a new bed everything). She only stayed a few days, and I already missed her!
If you ever get the chance, meet Gabby Rivera (writer of America comic).
— Cee ✨🔮 (@tnhcee) August 27, 2017
Gabby Rivera is—I don’t even know what to say to convey how awesome she is. She is full of warmth and positivity. When you hear her talk about her writing process, you can see how dedicated she is in presenting a non-stereotypical representation of Latinx characters. She’s so excited about this world she’s creating and the people in it. She’s so observant and delightful. She’s fucking wonderful.
Aren’t these beautiful?
(The See No Evil + Speak The Evil are from Yoshi Yoshitani)
(The tote bag + these pins are from Jen Bartel.)
(Zodiac Starforce pin is from Paulina Ganucheau.)
|SITTING ON MY BOOKSHELF|
- Josie and the Pussycats • Vol. 1 by Marguerite Bennett, Cameron DeOrdio, and Audrey Mok
- The Backstagers • Vol. 1 by James Tynion IV and Rian Singh
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
- Reign the Earth by A.C. Gaughen (ARC)
- The Care and Feeding of a Pet Black Hole by Michelle Cuevas
- Smoot: A Rebellious Shadow by Michelle Cuevas and Sydney Smith
- There’s Someone Else in the House by Stephanie Perkins (ARC)
- Frankenstein Dreams by Michael Sims (ARC)
- Rise of the Jumbies (The Jumbies #2) by Tracey Baptiste
- When I Cast Your Shadows by Sarah Porter
- Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani
- All the Wind in the World by Samantha Mabry
- This Book Isn’t Safe by Colin Furze
- Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust (ARC)
Thank you for the books, Bloomsbury, Penguin, Algonquin Young Readers, First Second, and Flatiron Books.
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (ARC)
- It Devours! by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Canor (ARC)
- The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine (ARC)
- Wilde in Love by Eloisa James (ARC)
MIDDLE GRADE FICTION
|BLOG POSTS GALORE|
- We Are Not Alone (Love and Other Alien Experiences by Kerry Winfrey)
- What Goes Up Must Come Down (What Goes Up by Katie Kennedy)
- SOS Stranded on Island, Send Help (A Map for Wrecked Girls by Jessica Taylor)
- One Code At A Time (The Friendship Code by Stacia Deutsch + Girls Who Code by Reshma Saujani)
- Not Your Abuela’s Music (The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez)
- COMIC FIRSTS • Redlands #1: Through Sacrifice and Honor
- August 2017 Graphic Novel Releases To Look Out For
- Fee Fi Fo Fum (Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke)
- TOO MUCH TBR • ARC August 2017 Edition
- HOLY, MOTHER COVER! • Changes in Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs
- SINCERELY, CEE • A letter from yours truly to Speak Easy, Speak Love & McKelle George
|NOTE TO SELF FOR NEXT MONTH|
Read, read, read. Write, write, write. Comics, comics, comics.