I can’t believe it’s Summer.Ugh.
June flew like a blur, and I don’t know if I’m ready for the end of the Summer or what.
In June —
- I met Brenden Fletcher (again) and Babs Tarr!!
S C R E A M I N G. For those who do not know, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr (and Cameron Stewart but he unfortunately was unable to make it) is the creative team behind Batgirl and their new book, Motor Crush. I’ve been a massive fan of them since their Batgirl days, so when I heard they would be signing at my LCBS, I made sure I had the day off to see them! (Like, I bought five different covers for Motor Crush. That’s how much I love them.)
I may do an event recap for it, but there was a Q&A where Brenden and Babs talked about Motor Crush—its inception, the inspiration behind the fashion and certain scenes, etc—and then a signing took place after. It was my first time meeting Babs, and oh my god, she is amazinnnnnnng. I literally had hearteyes when I stood in front of her. For Brenden, it was not my first time meeting him, and I was so psyched to meet him again (last time he showed me previews of Black Canary #2.) and talked Black Canary with him. I didn’t realize until right before the event that I own A LOT of his work. :D So, here are the lovely two:
- I HAVE THE MOST AWESOMEST FRIENDS!!
I received two of the greatest things ever! One from Alexa:
— Cee 🏳️🌈 (@tnhcee) June 10, 2017
ALEXA PICKED THIS—WHICH IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST FOR ME BECAUSE I LOVE ROBIN SLOAN AND IT COMPLETES MY COLLECTION OF ARCS OF ROBIN SLOAN’S BOOKS—UP FOR ME AT BEA. When Alexa showed me what she got, I nearly cried. When I received it in the mail, I almost did. When I opened the book AND SAW IT WAS SIGNED TO ME, I BROKE DOWN INTO WAILS BECAUSE THAT IS AMAZING AND OMG. I’M SO EXCITED. ALEXA! <3
And then there’s Brianna who—
YUP. Late last month, she sent me The Refrigerator Monologues (which I highly recommend to everybody because it’s so angry and wonderful about the treatment of comic book ladies) and she hooked me up with The Refrigerator Monologues. !!!!!! LIKE I LOVE CATHERYNNE M. VALENTE. SO TO GET THESE TWO ARCS IS LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE BECAUSE I LOVE HER AND HER WRITING AND HER EVERYTHING AND BRIANNA KNOWS THIS AND BLESS HER. BRIANNA. <3
- I still haven’t watched Wonder Woman because I’m awful.
Just kidding I’m not. I meant to earlier in the month, but plans just fell through. I will see it though! YOU KNOW I WILL LOVE THAT MOVIE DEARLY. AND MAYBE I’LL CRY.
(The first week and a half of June, I wasn’t happy—I was very angry—at some people who let me down, so that’s part of the reason Wonder Woman didn’t happen.)
|SITTING ON MY BOOKSHELF|
- Runaway: The Complete Collection Volume 1
- Runaway: The Complete Collection Volume 2
- Wonder Woman • Vol. 1: The Lies
- Wonder Woman • Vol. 2: Year One
- Kaptara by Chip Zdarsky
- I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly & JM Ken Nimura
- Zodiac Starforce by Kevin Panetta and Paulina
- The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero
- Motor Crush by Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr
- Motor Crush • Vol. 1 (Kinokuniya)
- Green Arrow Rebirth • Vol. 2:
- Mockingbird Vol. 2: My Feminist Agenda
- Black Widow • Vol. 2
- Lazarus • Vol. 1
- Motor Crush • Vol. 1 (DCBS)
- Motor Crush • Vol. 1 (Forbidden Planet/Big Bang Comics)
- The Thorn and the Blossom by Theodora Goss
- Sourdough (ARC) by Robin Sloan (Signed) from Alexa <3
- Motor Crush Vol. 1 (Barnes & Noble exclusive) from my co-worker <3
- The Knife’s Edge by Hope Larson
- Katana at Super Hero High
- The Glass Town Game by Catherynne M. Valente
- All Faire’s
Thank you for the books, First Tor Books, First Second, Penguin, Quirk Books, Random House, and Wunderkind PR.
- Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
- Miles Morales by Jason Reynolds
Thank Kierra and TJ!
|BLOG POSTS GALORE|
- REVIEW • For the Love of Prufrock (Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley)
- COMIC FIRSTS • Shirtless Bear-Fighter #1: The Naked Hero We Didn’t Know We Wanted
- BLOG TOUR • My Favorite Superheroines (The Refrigerator Monologues)
- TOO MUCH TBR • June 2017
- HOLY, MOTHER COVER! • Changes in The Lovely Reckless by Kami Garcia
- SINCERELY, CEE • A letter from yours truly to F.C. Yee & The Epic Crush of Genie Lo
- TOP TEN • Best Books I’ve Read In 2017
- June 2017 Graphic Novel Releases To Look Out For
|NOTE TO SELF FOR NEXT MONTH|
Read, read, read. Write, write, write. Comics, comics, comics.