September 13, 2019 • Cee • Discussion
You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one! During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of August 2019.
FICTION

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia OwensThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoSupermarket by Bobby Hall There There by Tommy Orange | The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

The Adventure Zone: Murder on Rockport Limited by The McElroysA Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles | Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail HoneymanBeloved by Toni MorrisonThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Little Women by Louisa May AlcottEvvie Drake Starts Over by Linda HolmesThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonA Better Man by Louse PennyMy Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

KIDS/TEENS

Dear Martin by Nic Stone | Camp by Kayla Miller | Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowly Jefferson’s Journal by Jeff KinneyThe Pigeon HAS to Go to School! by Mo WillemsJust Jaime by Terri Libenson

Dear Martin by Nic StoneBoy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitter’s Club Graphic Novel #7) by Ann M. Martin & Gale Galligan | I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont | The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale & Dean Hale | Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana Simpson

Brave by Svetlana ChmakovaCamp by Kayla MillerJust Jaime by Terri LibensonThe Okay Book by Todd ParrThe Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon

NONFICTION

Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez | The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz | Becoming by Michelle ObamaThe Sixth Man by Andre IguodalaThe Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson

Educated by Tara Westover | The Odd 1s Out by James Rallison | Born A Crime by Trevor NoahHow To Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi | Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill 

Start With Why by Simon SinekGirl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis | Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou | Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. KiyosakiAnthony Bourdain Remembered

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • The top five fiction books are a shade of red and orange! That’s so cool!
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow Thoughts, and Milk and Honey.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in August 2019”

1. Veronica says:

The color coding is so insane despite it being coincidental!!

It’s crazy to me that Logic is Bobby Hall. What. Lol.

Leave a Reply