Dear Nova Ren Suma and The Walls Around Us,
Oh boy, love at first sight! It screams at me to see what’s it about, and well, I want to read it.
The Walls Around Us is a ghostly story of suspense told in two voices—one still living and one long dead. On the outside, there’s Violet, an eighteen-year-old dancer days away from the life of her dreams when something threatens to expose the shocking truth of her achievement. On the inside, within the walls of a girls’ juvenile detention center, there’s Amber, locked up for so long she can’t imagine freedom. Tying these two worlds together is Orianna, who holds the key to unlocking all the girls’ darkest mysteries.
We hear Amber’s story and Violet’s, and through them Orianna’s, first from one angle, then from another, until gradually we begin to get the whole picture—which is not necessarily the one that either Amber or Violet wants us to see.
Nova Ren Suma tells a supernatural tale of guilt and innocence, and what happens when one is mistaken for the other.Goodreads
Let me tell you why I need this book:
- Two voices? One living? One dead? Into it! The synopsis makes me confused, yet intrigued. I just have a big question over my head. I don’t know what to expect. On one hand, I’m expecting an actual spirit/ghost, but being “dead” isn’t as simple as it sounds from what I gather about this book. What does it mean to “live” or be “dead” in The Walls Around Us?
- Did I say how I fell head over heels in love with this cover? It’s sooo gorgeous. Look at the colors and the illustration. Love. Everything about this cover is striking. There’s something so unsettling about the design that I adore.
- Fascinated by the idea that combining each character’s story will create a whole one. I’m assuming that their stories rely a lot on each other—that it won’t make a lot of sense in the point of views. I predict confusion on my part when I read this and attempt to figure out what is going on with the characters. I like that the book is essentially weaving these seemingly separate stories together until it all becomes clear.
- The Mysterious Orianna! Is Orianna a corporeal being? What role does she play in the two girl’s life? Why is she the bearer of the truth? I have questions! They need answering!
- What role each girl played in each other’s lives. They must have an impact on each other’s lives. What kind of impact? I’m not entirely sure, but I know that there is one. And I want to know more—about their lives, the skeletons they hide in their closet, their everything.
- Supernatural? Ooooh. What supernatural thing plays into here? Is it coming from this Orianna? Or what?
Are you convinced?