November 5, 2021 • Cee • Discussion

We’re selling a lot of the same books now, and I can’t wait to see new titles.

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top selling books of October 2021!

FICTION

Dune by Frank Herbert | It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover | The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins ReidCloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr | No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

Circe by Madeline Miller | Atlas Six by Olivie Blake | The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller | Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston | Verity by Colleen Hoover

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn MuirThe Hating Game by Sally Thorne | People We Meet on Vacation by Emily HenryOnce and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow | Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas

Normal People by Sally RooneyThe Judge’s List by John GrishamThe Secret History by Donna TarttA Little Life by Hanya YanagiharaA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

KIDS + TEENS

They Both Die At The End by Adam SilveraGustavo the Shy Ghost by Flavia Z. Drago | Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Big Shot by Dav PilkeyA Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson | Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen

Girl in Pieces by Kathleen GlasgowHeartstopper Vol. 1 by Alice Oseman | Mothering Heights (Dog Man) by Dav PilkeyPete the Cat: Trick or Pete by James DeanIron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao

Friends Forever by Shannon Hale | Grime and Punishment (Dog Man) by Dav PilkeyGhost Squad by Claribel A. OrtegaA Tale of Sorcery… by Chris ColferSix of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

NONFICTION

The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk | The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz | Atomic Habits by James ClearSacred Woman by Queen Afua | Mastery of Love by Don Migue Ruiz

How to Talk to Anyone by Leil Lowndes | A Carnival of Snackery: Diaries 2003-2020 by David SedarisMindset by Carol S. Dweck | Becoming by Michelle Obama | Perfect Day to Boss Up: A Hustler’s Guide to Building Your Empire by Rick Ross

Crying in H Mart by Michelle ZaunerThe Voice of Knowledge by Don Miguel Ruiz | Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci | Feeding the Soul (Because It’s My Business): Finding Our Way to Joy, Love, and Freedom by Tabitha BrownRich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki |

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • For the past year, we’ve been selling a lot of manga—so much that it exceeds the different subjects of books we sell. That will be in its own post.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply