November 2, 2019 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one! During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of October 2019.

FICTION

The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates | The Testaments by Margaret Atwood | The Dutch House by Ann Patchett | Ninth House by Leigh BardugoThe Institute by Stephen King

It by Stephen KingKilling Commendatore by Haruki MurakamiMy Hero Academia Vol. 21 The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | There There by Tommy Orange

The Guardians by John Grisham | Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens | A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor TowlesThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonThe Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

KIDS/TEENS

Guts by Raina Telgemeier | Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Illustrated by J.K. Rowling | Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitter’s Club Graphic Novel #7) by Ann M. Martin & Gale Galligan | Dog Man: From Whom the Ball Rolls by Dav Pilkey | Best Friends by Shannon Hale

The Last Kids on Earth and the Midnight Blade by Max Brallier | The Haunted House Next Door (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol #1) by Andrés Miedoso & Víctor Rivas | The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel #3) by Tui T. Sutherland & Mike Holmes |  The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo #4) by Rick Riordan | Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell |

Dog Man and Cat Kid by Dav PilkeyTale of Magic… by Chris ColferThe Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust Volume Two) by Philip PullmanDog Man: Lord of the Fleas by Dav PilkeyThe Last Kids on Earth by Max Brallier

NONFICTION

Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez | Talking to Strangers by Malcolm GladwellBlowout by Rachel MaddowBecoming by Michelle Obama | The Book of Gutsy Women by Hillary Rodham Clinton & Chelsea Clinton

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz | Inside Out by Demi Moore | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson | The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk | Educated by Tara Westover

How To Win Friends & Influence People by Dale CarnegieSalt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin NosratSweat the Technique by RakimDare to Lead by Brene BrownKnow My Name by Chanel Miller

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • The hardcover version Killing Commendatore was part of the top 15 last October, and the paperback came out this October and is part of the top 15. What a coincidence. 
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow Thoughts, and Milk and Honey.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply