January 3, 2022 • Cee • Discussion

We’re selling a lot of the same books now, and I can’t wait to see new titles.

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top selling books of December 2021!

FICTION

Dune by Frank Herbert | The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood | It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover | The Song of Achilles by Madeline MillerHeaven Official’s Blessing by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu

Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu | Atlas Six by Olivie BlakeThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid | No Longer Human by Osamu Daza

November 9 by Colleen HooverNormal People by Sally Rooney | A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara | The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart TurtonThe Sentence by Louise Erdrich

Circe by Madeline Miller | The Secret History by Donna TarttVerity by Colleen HooverState of Terror by Hillary Rodham Clinton & Louise Penny | The Stranger in the Lifeboat by Mitch Albom

KIDS + TEENS

Cat Kid Comic Club #2: Perspectives by Dav Pilkey | They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera | Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Big Shot by Dav Pilkey | A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly JacksonExtra Yarn by Mac Barnett

he Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes | The 1619 Project: Born on the Water by Nikole Hannah-JonesHeartstopper: Volume 1 by Alice OsemanHow The Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussWe Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Where’s Waldo? by Martin Handford | We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal | Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow | Change Sings: A Children’s Anthem by Amanda GormanPokemon: Super Extra Deluxe Essential Handbook

Grime and Punishment (Dog Man) by Dav Pilkey | Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri ManiscalcoThe Christmas Pig by J.K. Rowling | Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas TraditionMagic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen

NONFICTION

Call Us What We Carry: Poems by Amanda Gorman | The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by Nikole Hannah-Jones | Atlas of the Heart by Brene Brown | The Lyrics: 1956 to the Present by Paul McCartney | Will by Will Smith

Speed & Scale: An Action Plan for Solving Our Climate Crisis Now by John Doerr | Crying in H Mart: A Memoir by Michelle Zauner | The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows by John KoenigRenegades: Born in the USA by Barack Obama and Bruce SpringsteenThe Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz |

The Hill We Climb by Amanda Gorman | Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer |  The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der KolkAll About Love: New Visions by Bell Hooks | Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: The Story of Schitt’s Creek by Dan Levy & Eugene Levy

Just As I Am by Cicely TysonThe Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl | Half Baked Harvest Super Simple Cookbook by Tieghan GerardThe Changing World Order: Why Nations Succeed and Fail by Ray DalioTaste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • For the past year, we’ve been selling a lot of manga—so much that it exceeds the different subjects of books we sell. That will be in its own post.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply