I think I’m back? In September, I’ve read more of my priority books than I have in previous months. Hallelujah! I’m so happy.
For those who do not know, Too Much TBR is a way to help me see which books I really need to read and tackle them. It helps a lot seeing a visual of the books on my TBR pile.
Let’s discuss what I read last month, and what I’m reading this month!
|BACK IN SEPTEMBER|
In September, I had eleven books I wanted to read, and I read eight of the books! Yeeeee. Majority of the books I read in September didn’t live up to my expectation. I felt my feet dragging for most of them.
These books were ones I really enjoy:
- Sometimes We Tell the Truth (a really wonderful retelling of The Canterbury Tales using modern pop culture for the modern audience)
- Ghostly Echoes (we learn more about Jackaby and wait, is that the Underworld?? ;D)
- Secret Coders and Human Body Theater (these STEM graphic novels retaught me what I learned when I was younger! Definitely excellent for young readers).
These were the books I was not loving as much because I had different expectations:
- Spontaneous (super weird book about kids spontaneously combusting, which didn’t really go anywhere or explored why everything was happening)
- The Courage Test (liked the Lewis and Clark history, but wish it was woven in more into the story. Also had some weird plots that made it awkward.)
- The Peculiar Night of the Blue Heart (loved the friendship between Lionel and Marybeth, but otherwise it was rather boring)
- Heroine Complex (this was lighter than I had thought it would be, and it didn’t focus much on the friendship between Aveda and Evie)
I had to DNF Vassa in the Night. It pained me to read it. It was a fairytale that was too bizarre for my head to wrap around.
|PRIORITY OCTOBER READS|
These are the books I gotta read in October!
- Crooked Kingdom (I haven’t gotten around to reading even though everybody has be reading it immediately and raving at it. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WITH THESE THIEVING BBS)
- This Adventure Ends (Friendships! I’m in it for the friendships)
- Iron Cast (Prohibition era, magic, and cons! I’m excited to see what kind of things Corinne and Ada finds out about the world they’re in)
- A Monster Calls (need to re-read it!)
- Gertie’s Leap to Greatness (I’ve actually started this Middle Grade, and it is really cute)
- Rebel Genius (Renaissance art! Genius: birdlike creature = living embodiment of an artist’s creative spirit)
- Foxheart (Claire Legrand! My favorite! Orphan. Thief. Witch!)
- The Infinity Years of Avalon James (friendships, magic, and secrets)
- Finding Perfect (OCD, MC into slam poetry)
- I’ve already finished reading Demon Vol 1 (not for the faint of heart, but so riveting)
- Tetris (all about Tetris!)
Note: All these books here do not account for other books that may slip into my TBR list (because mood reading will probably happen) nor of the comics I will be reading. I’m sure I missed other books I want to read this month too, but since I can’t remember, it must not be priority, right? Let’s hope I make a dent in my TBR books for October!