January 9, 2019 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of December (tis the season!).

FICTION

Fire & Blood by George R.R. MartinThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | There There by Tommy OrangeThe Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris | Elevation by Stephen King

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan | Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman | China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan | Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

Target: Alex Cross by James PattersonThe Reckoning by John Grisham | The Next Person You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom | Past Tense (Jack Reacher #23) by Lee ChildWhere the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

KIDS + TEENS

Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild by Dav PilkeyThe Meltdown (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #13) by Jeff Kinney | Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas by Dav Pilkey | Crush by Svetlana Chmakova | The Hive Queen (Wings of Fire #12) by Tui T. Sutherland

Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich | Kristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan | Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories #1) by Chris ColferSupernova (Amulet #8) by Kazu Kibushi

Dreamers by Yuyi MoralesQueen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices #3) by Cassandra ClareFantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay by J.K. RowlingTales from a Not-So-Happy Birthday (Dork Diaries #13) by Rachel Renee Russell | Coco (Little Golden Book) by Disney

NONFICTION

Becoming by Michelle Obama | Atlas Obscura: An Explorer’s Guide to the World’s Hidden Wonders by Joshua Foer | Michelle Obama: A Photographic JourneyEducated by Tara Westover | Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero | Shade: A Tale of Two Presidents by Pete SouzaObama: An Intimate Portrait by Pete Souza | The Mamba Mentality: How I Play by Kobe Bryant | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson

Beastie Boys Book by Michael Diamond The Odd 1s Out by James Rallison | Craving: Hungry For More by Chrissy Teigen | Homebody by Joanna GainesStranger Things: Worlds Turned Upside Down: The Official Behind-the-Scenes Companion by Gina McIntyre

G’Morning, G’Night!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jonny Sun | The Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene | Cook Like A Pro by Ina Garten | Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainOttolenghi Simple by Yotam Ottolenghi

NOTES:

• The Obama family wins December!
  • Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow ThoughtsMilk and Honey, and 2Fish.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply