You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!
During the last week of February, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!
And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of May. Let’s take a look.
|KIDS + TEENS|
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas | Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas | The Meltdown (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #13) by Jeff Kinney | Tales from a Not-So-Happy Birthday (Dork Diaries #13) by Rachel Renee Russell | Kristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan
Dog Man and Cat Kid by Dav Pilkey | P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han | Dear Evan Hansen by Val Emmich | A Map of Days (Miss Peregine’s Peculiar Children #4) by Ransom Riggs | Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
I Am Human: A Book of Empathy by Susan Verde | Sisters by Raina Telgemeier | What If It’s Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera | Kristy’s Great Idea (The Baby-Sitter’s Club #1) by Raina Telgemeir | Dog Man Unleashed by Dav Pilkey
Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in LA by Luis J. Rodriguez Fear: Trump in the White House | Dare of Lead by Brene Brown | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson | The Mamba Mentality: How I Play by Kobe Bryant | Fear by Bob Woodward
Ship of Fools by Tucker Carlson | The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz | Cook Like A Pro by Ina Garten | The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis | Shook One: Anxiety Playing Tricks On Me by Charlamagne Tha God
12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson | You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero | The Odd 1s Out by James Rallison | Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman | Craving: Hungry For More by Chrissy Teigen
- Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
- Like August, the Crazy Rich Asians were 1, 2, 3 in my store’s topselling fiction books!! Also, the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before trilogy were part of the top 15 in kids/teens books. Asians ftw!
- August was The Adventure Zone, September was Monstress, October was Saga!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
- The Kids/Teens section is dominated by graphic novels. What can I say, kids love graphic novels.
- These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
- I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her Flowers, Pillow Thoughts, Milk and Honey, and 2Fish.