June 7, 2021 • Cee • Discussion

April was full of the same books as the previous months (no new releases), and that’s okay. During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top selling books of May 2021!

FICTION

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller | Circe by Madeline MillerRed, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuistonLife After Death by Sister SouljahThe Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Without Remorse by Tom ClancyThe Alchemist by Paulo CoehloNo Longer Human by Osamu DazaiIt Ends With Us by Colleen HooverHamnet by Maggie O’Farrell

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia OwensSuch A Fun Age by Kiley ReidThe Silent Patient by Alex MichaelidesThe Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins ReidThe Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green

KIDS + TEENS

They Both Die At The End by Adam SilveraSix of Crows by Leigh Bardguo | Crooked Kingdom by Leigh BardugoWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSiege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

The Days The Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltDog Man: Mothering Heights by Dav Pilkey | Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston | The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackRule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo

The Dangerous Gift (Wings of Fire #14) by Tui T. Sutherland | Claudia and the New Girl (The Baby-Sitters Club #9) by Gabriela Epstein | Wings of Fire: Forge Your Dragon World by Tui T. SutherlandRowley Jefferson’s Awesome Friendly Spooky Stories by Jeff KinneyShatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

NONFICTION

The Hill We Climb by Amanda Gorman | Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki |  The Four Agreements by Don Miguel RuizWhat Happened to You?: : Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing by Bruce D. Perry & Oprah Winfrey

The Premonition: A Pandemic Story by Michael LewisTo Selena, With Love by Chris Perez | Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner | Sacred Woman by Queen AfuaWorld Travel: An Irreverent Guide by Anthony Bourdain

Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou | Becoming by Michelle ObamaYearbook by Seth Rogen | A Promised Land by Barack Obama | The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • For the past nine months, we’ve been selling a lot of manga—so much that it exceeds the different subjects of books we sell. That will be in its own post.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply