June felt like a very slow month for me. With me being on high stress mode for the first half of the month, I didn’t get as much books read or reviews written as I wanted to. But hey, I still read the same amount as May, so still good. I will say this again and again to the Book Gods: please continue this reading and reviewing streak.
For those who do not know, Too Much TBR is a way to help me see which books I really need to read and tackle them. It helps a lot seeing a visual of the books on my TBR pile.
Let’s discuss what I read last month, and what I’m reading this month!
|BACK IN JUNE|
In June, I had eight books I wanted to read. I only read five of them, which is better than I expected to do, especially with how I was on high stress mode for the beginning of the month because of Comic Con.
The five books I ended up reading were (in order of favorite to good read):
- The Voyage to Magical – Fantastic Middle Grade about an unlikely pair of kids—a servant girl with no name and allergic to magic, and an magician’s apprentice—who meet some awesome pirates, and they sent on a voyage to find the mythological Magical North where they’ll encounter stories, magic, evil magicians, sea creatures, and so on. Highly recommend this!
- Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure – It’s been ages since I’ve read a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and this was so much fun! I loved seeing Romeo and Juliet go down different and hilarious paths.
- Compass South – Redheaded twins + pirates + gangs + adventure. Fantastic art. Love it. Want more of this.
- The Geek’s Guide to Unrequited Love – Very cute book. Light and fast. It may not have explored the characters very deeply, but it’s a total love letter to geek culture.
- The Girls – This book does such a good job of making your uncomfortable. The thoughts that run through Evie’s head = what all teenage girls experience. Evie’s relationship with Suzanne is so great.
I started Learning to Swear in America early in June, but stress and Comic Con distracted me, so I had to put that on hold until now! I did not get to read Me Before Me and You Know Me Well. I’ll save that for a later time when I’m in the mood to get to them.
|PRIORITY JULY READS|
I have a few Middle Grades more this month than last, which I’m very excited about, and those books are: The Girl Who Drank the Moon (fairytale-esque, a witch, magic, and a young girl wanting to protect her family), Supergirl at Super Hero High (it’s Supergirl’s time now!), and The Trouble with Twins (Twin sisters. Opposites. A recovery mission).
The other three books I’m flailing my arms over are: Heroine Complex (Asian American superheroines!!!!!!), Arabella of Mars (Colonized British colony on Mars. Tomboy. Automatons. Flying ships. Pirates), and Nevernight (School of assassins. Vengeance. Ancient Rome-inspired. Footnotes).
The bottom row are books I plan to read, but aren’t absolutely certain I’ll be able to get to, for whatever reason.
Note: All these books here do not account for other books that may slip into my TBR list (because mood reading will probably happen) nor of the comics I will be reading. I’m sure I missed other books I want to read this month too, but since I can’t remember, it must not be priority, right? Let’s hope I make a dent in my TBR books for June!