August 3, 2019 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of July 2019.

FICTION

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens | There There by Tommy OrangeThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead1984 by George Orwell

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman | City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert | Dune by Frank Herbert | Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail HoneymanThe Adventure Zone: Murder on Rockport Limited by The McElroys

The New Girl by Daniel Silva | Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste NgThe Reckoning by John GrishamGhosted by Rosie WalshOn Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong

KIDS/TEENS

Dear Martin by Nic Stone | Camp by Kayla Miller | Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowly Jefferson’s Journal by Jeff KinneyThe Pigeon HAS to Go to School! by Mo WillemsJust Jaime by Terri Libenson

Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana SimpsonDog Man and Cat Kid by Dav PilkeyPopularMMOs Presents Enter the MineHarry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. RowlingClick by Kayla Miller

The Hate U Give by Angie ThomasGravity Falls: Journal 3I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. SanchezThe Story of Rap | Smile by Raina Telgemeier

NONFICTION

The Sixth Man by Andre Iguodala | Always Running by Luis J. RodriguezThe Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark MansonThe Odd 1s Out by James Rallison | Becoming by Michelle Obama 

The Mueller ReportBorn A Crime by Trevor Noah | Educated by Tara WestoverSapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah HarariEverything Is F*cked: A Book About Hope by Mark Manson

Outliers by Malcolm GladwellThe Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz | More Than Enough by Elaine Welteroth | Three Women by Lisa TaddeoRich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow ThoughtsMilk and Honey, and 2Fish.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in July 2019”

1. Such a cool post!! I love that 1984 is still selling a lot of copies nowadays–I think it’s really telling of people’s fears and outlooks on our society today.

Leave a Reply