July 8, 2019 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one! During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of May 2019.

FICTION

There There by Tommy OrangeCity of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert | The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia OwensThe Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee | My Hero Academia Vol. 19 | Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil GaimanThe Overstory by Richard Powers | 1984 by George Orwell

Fall, or Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson | The Outsider by Stephen King | The Overstory by Richard Powers | Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng | Supermarket by Bobby Hall (Logic)The Mister by EL James

KIDS/TEENS

Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowly Jefferson’s Journal by Jeff Kinney | PopularMMOs Presents Enter the Mine | Camp by Kayla Miller | The Cabin by Natasha Preston | Smile by Raina Telgemeier

Just Jaime by Terri Libenson | Kristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale GalliganMinecraft: Guide to CreativeBig Nate: Payback Time! by Lincoln Pierce | The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 

Pokemon’s Detective Pikachu: Case FilesInvisible Emmie by Terri Libenson | Toy Story 4 (Little Golden Book)Bloom by Kevin Panetta & Savanna Ganucheau | Warriors: Ravenpaw’s Path: Shattered Peace, A Clan in Need, The Heart of a Warrior by Erin Hunter

NONFICTION

Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money by Ken Honda | Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez | The Sixth Man by Andre Iguodala | Becoming by Michelle Obama | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson

Born A Crime by Trevor Noah | Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered by Karen Kilgariff & Georgia HardstarkEverything Is F*cked: A Book About Hope by Mark Manson | The Odd 1s Out by James Rallison | The Mueller Report

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz | More Than Enough by Elaine WelterothLet Love Have the Last Word by Common | Howard Stern Comes Again by Howard SternEducated by Tara Westover

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow ThoughtsMilk and Honey, and 2Fish.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply