May 3, 2021 • Cee • Discussion

April was full of the same books as the previous months (no new releases), and that’s okay. 

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top selling books of April 2021!

FICTION

Demon Slayer Vol. 1 The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller | Circe by Madeline MillerRed, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuistonGiven Vol. 1

I Want To Eat Your Pancreas | A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara | The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab | The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ KluneUzumaki by Junji ItoTomie by Junji ItoLater by Stephen King | The Midnight Library  by Matt Haig

KIDS + TEENS

They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera | Dog Man: Mothering Heights by Dav Pilkey | We Were Liars by E. LockhartShadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo | Six of Crows by Leigh Bardguo

Rowley Jefferson’s Awesome Friendly Spooky Stories by Jeff Kinney | Cat Kid Comic Club by Dav PilkeyCrooked Kingdom by Leigh BardugoSerpent & Dove by Shelby MahurinRule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo

Grime and Punishment (Dog Man) by Dav Pilkey | Claudia and the New Girl (The Baby-Sitters Club #9) by Gabriela Epstein | The Dangerous Gift (Wings of Fire #14) by Tui T. Sutherland | Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston | The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

NONFICTION

The Hill We Climb by Amanda Gorman | Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. KiyosakiA Promised Land by Barack Obama | Becoming by Michelle Obama | Sacred Woman by Queen Afua

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. PetersonThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill | The Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark MansonJust As I Am by Cicely Tyson

The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk | This Is the Fire by Don LemonCrying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner | The Four Agreements by Don Miguel RuizThe Marathon Don’t Stop: The Life and Times of Nipsey Hussle by Rob Kenner

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • For the past nine months, we’ve been selling a lot of manga—so much that it exceeds the different subjects of books we sell. I might give manga its own separate section next month. 
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in April 2021”

1. I’ve had Red, White, and Royal Blue on my TBR pile for a while now. I need to get to it! You have a nice variety of books on your list.

Leave a Reply