Dear Erin Bowman and Vengeance Road,
Well, howdy, partner. What do we have here?[quote cite=”Goodreads” url=”https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23719270-vengeance-road”]When Kate Thompson’s father is killed by the notorious Red Rose Gang for a mysterious journal that reveals the secret location of a gold mine, the eighteen-year-old disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. What she finds are devious strangers, dust storms, and a pair of brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, she gets closer to the truth about herself and must decide if there’s room for love in a heart so full of hate.
In the spirit of True Grit, the cutthroat days of the Wild West come to life for a new generation.[/quote]
When I read the synopsis of this book, I could not contain my glee. I’m so pumped to read this because:
- Kate sounds like a kickass character. She has a mission in life, and that is to get justice for her father’s untimely death. She decides to take on an extremely dangerous gang, and man, that is so brave. I can’t wait to see how she holds herself against others, whilst dealing with her grief.
- Kate disguises herself as a boy. I don’t know why, but I always love when characters disguise themselves, especially in the opposite gender. Maybe because I like the deception? That a girl is one-upping males. (It’s satisfying.)
- It’s set in the Wild West. How many YA books have you read that’s set in the Wild West? For me, not a lot! So I’m excited to read about the setting and the dialogue.
- Kate encounters a pair of brothers. I am so interested to see the dynamic between Kate and the brothers, and to see how they rely on each other. I just hope nothing romantic happens.
- Revenge is awesome. I like reading about characters who avenge their family. It’s just so awesome to see what they do when they put their minds to it.
- Hidden family secrets, yes please. I come a-running when family secrets are involved because what’s not to like? There’s something that Kate doesn’t know that may potentially change her whole life. Who knows.
I just need this. Who else is excited about this book?