February 3, 2019 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of January 2019. It’s a brand new year. Are there any brand new books on this list?

FICTION

There There by Tommy Orange | The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris | Fire & Blood by George R.R. MartinThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

A Dog’s Way Home by W. Bruce CameronEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman | If Beale Street Could Talk by James BaldwinThe Only Woman in the Room by Marie BenedictRich People Problems by Kevin Kwan

Bird Box by Josh MalermanArtemis by Andy WeirA Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. SchwabAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr | 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

KIDS + TEENS

Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild by Dav PilkeyThe Hive Queen (Wings of Fire #12) by Tui T. Sutherland | Crush by Svetlana Chmakova | Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas by Dav Pilkey | Kristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan

The Meltdown (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #13) by Jeff Kinney |

Kristy’s Great Idea (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #1) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan | Old School (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #10) by Jeff KinneyTwo Can Keep A Secret by Karen M. McManusDog Man and Cat Kid by Dav PilkeyThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black

NONFICTION

Becoming by Michelle ObamaThe Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson | Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez |  Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel RuizThe Odd 1s Out by James Rallison | The Truths We Hold by Kamala HarrisSapiens: A Brief History of Humankind Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie KondoCalm the F*ck Down by Sarah Knight | Educated by Tara Westover | The Power of Habit by Charles DuhiggYou Are A Badass by Jen Sincero

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow ThoughtsMilk and Honey, and 2Fish.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Tags:

Leave a Reply