September 6, 2021 • Cee • Discussion

We’re selling a lot of the same books now, and I can’t wait to see new titles.

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top selling books of August 2021!

FICTION

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover | The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins ReidThe Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller | No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai | People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston | Circe by Madeline MillerNormal People by Sally RooneyDune by Frank Herbert | A Touch of Darkness by Scarlett St. Clair

Punk 57 by Penelope DouglasOne Last Stop by Casey McQuistonThe Hating Game by Sally ThorneThe 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart TurtonThe Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo

The City We Became by N.K. JemisinWe Are All the Same in the Dark by Julia Heaberlin | Billy Summers by Stephen KingA Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. SchwabAll The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

KIDS + TEENS

They Both Die At The End by Adam SilveraThe Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes | We Were Liars by E. LockhartA Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly JacksonThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Heartstopper Vol. 1 by Alice OsemanThe Pigeon HAS to Go to School! by Mo WillemsDance of Thieves by Mary E. PearsonCaraval by Stephanie GarberAmari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston

Six of Crows by Leigh BardguoWilder Girls by Rory PowerScythe by Neal Shusterman | Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia LevensellerOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Blood & Honey by Shelby MahurinThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton JusterI Am Not Your Perfect Daughter by Erika L. SanchezMothering Heights (Dog Man) by Dav PilkeyGirl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow

NONFICTION

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz | The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk | Crying in H Mart by Michelle ZaunerAtomic Habits by James Clear | Atomic Habits by James Clear

The Fifth Agreement by Don Miguel Ruiz | Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl | Badass Habits by Jen SinceroThe 48 Laws of Power by Robert GreeneThe Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell

Becoming Supernatural by Dr. Joe DispenzaTo Selena, With Love by Chris PerezBecoming by Michelle ObamaThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillRich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

How to Make Money in Stocks by William J. O’Neil | Agent Sonya: The Spy Next Door by Ben Macintyre | This Is Your Mind on Plants by Michael Pollan | I Alone Can Fix It by Carol Leonnig & Philip RuckerNice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm by Robin Diangelo

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • For the past year, we’ve been selling a lot of manga—so much that it exceeds the different subjects of books we sell. That will be in its own post.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in August 2021”

1. Jess says:

No Longer Human surprised me because it’s not a book I’m familiar with. I”ll have to do some research on it !

Leave a Reply