Do you know why you saw that “Top Secret” notice on my blog the past couple of days? Do you see anything different?
I have a new blog design!
Doesn’t The Novel Hermit look fabuloussssssss? :D
It was designed by the wonderful Mitchii at Sky Circus.
I LOOOVVEEEE IT SO FUCKING MUCH. The colors, the word/image play with the hermit crab, the minimalist/modernist take on the header, and just about everything. It’s sad that my original narwhal idea didn’t come to fruition, but it was for the best! This new design is perfect for me.
- The original blog design was supposed to contain two narwhals with hipster sweaters (which changed to scarves), but it became too complicated, and I fell out of love with the idea. Mitchii was such a trooper with my initial crazy/extremely intimidating design request and when I wanted to change it.
- This was my initial color scheme (which took foreeevverrrr to pick), which was called Until We Sea:
- I changed my design request in mid-March because the initial design was too complicated. I was a little too ambitious with the narwhal idea. (I am deeply apologetic to Mitchii for putting her through it.)
- Nikki at The Paper Sea is the one who suggested the typewriter for the header. I can’t remember why, but I think she said that a typewriter can represent my love for typography.
- This is the color palette I settled on (with the help of Charlotte at Gypsy Reviews), named Ceerlotte:
Two of my favorite colors are lavender and turquoise, and I wanted to incorporate it into my blog design.
- My header is in the sidebar. I’m not surprised that happened since most of my designs always has too much white space when the header is in the center of the page.
- Finding the perfect font for the blog header was absolutely agonizing. None of the ones I found or Charlotte found fit in with the look. I wanted a calligraphy-esque font, but it doesn’t work well with this design. Charlotte suggested Lullaby (and created a mockup for me), and I fell in love. It was the perfect font for my blog title. Though, a problem came up because of licensing, which caused a lot of sadness, but I managed to find a way around it. (I’m a loophole queen!)
- I really looooveee the graphic pun in my header. When I saw the crab, I was confused at first of why it was there, but I understood a second later. It made me laugh because 1. I was extremely slow with the uptake and 2. y’know, hermit…crab. Hermit crab. It’s a totally “me” thing, and Mitchii somehow ~knew.
- Colors in the design were hard to perfect in the proposal and in the test site. I felt bad for constantly asking Mitchii to change the colors. I wanted it a certain way, and in the end, Mitchii achieved it!
- Here is an evolution of this blog design:
BIG THANK YOUUUUUS TO —
- Mitchii, for designing this fabulous design, for being so patient through my initial ambitious design request, and for creating and fixing all the things in the design (mainly the header and the colors). You are awesomeeeee!
- Charlotte, who held my hand, helped me pick my final color scheme, created mockups to ease my anxieties, and was overall awesome giving me suggestions of fonts and guiding me through everything.
- Christine at Oh Chrys, who served as my other go-to advisor when I was filled with anxiety about my blog design and slapped me silly .
- Nikki at The Paper Sea, who suggested the typewriter for the header image after the narwhal idea fell apart.
- Kelly at Effortlessly Reading, Georgie at What She Reads, Nikki at There Were Books Involved, Stacie at Wonderland of Reading, Claire at Bitches with Books, Rachel, Nina at The Sea of Pages, Alice-Jane at Crazy Red Pen, Shelly @ Read Sleep Repeat, Stormy @ Book.Blog.Bake, Sana at The Artsy Musings of A Bibliophile, Chiara at Books for a Delicate Eternity, Arial at Arial in Italics, and Sandra at Tea Between Books, who all helped me with the initial color scheme (even though I ended up not using any of the colors).
- Inspect Element, for being there when I had to tweak certain things in the design, but didn’t know where to begin.
I love your new design! I think it fits you and your blog very nicely. Also, I’m totally digging the color scheme as well as the typewriter as well as well as the sea/ocean scheme. Great job to Mitchii as well!
Georgie @ What She Reads says
OH MY FREAKINNGGGG GODDD!! I LOVE IT CEE!!
*turns off caps*
Seriously, this is so cute, and so you! Mitchii did an amazing job. Oh and that font is amazing, it goes so well with the theme ^_^. Ahhh, so much loves right now <3!
THIS IS FREAKIN’ EPIC
Kelly L. says
OMG WHY IS THIS SO PRETTY. -stares at the waves- <3
Charlotte @ Gypsy Reviews says
CRACKING UP AT NARWHALS IN HIPSTER SWEATERS. (Don’t ask me why but I find this adorable and hilarious)
AHHHHH now that I finally see everything come together it looks SOOOOO good! The turquoise is popping out against the blue so the waves aren’t overwhelming. *jumps up and down* IT ALL CAME TOGETHER CEE I TOLD YOUUUUU ;D
Omg I totally forgot what Until We Sea looked like because we went through so many .___. Lol hard to pick is a understatement :p but after seeing the evolution I am really glad you went with the blue waves, the black looked great but it holds nothing to the blue now!
SO MUCH LOVEEEEE IN THIS POST ♥♥ I’m soooo excited you finally get to put this up, it was a tumultous period getting here but worth it all the same ♥
CONGRATULATIONS CEE!! :D It’s beautiful!! :D Mitchii is so super awesome, isn’t she? :) She just really manages to capture all that is really you! :D Love it! It’s so adorable :3
I loved reading about the different changes you made; narwhals with hipster sweaters?! :O That would have been adorable, but the hermit crab here really suits the whole idea! :D I loved looking through the different stages too! But I have to agree, this version is the best ^^
CONGRATULATIONS CEE!! :D <3
Sandra @ Sandra's World of Books says
I loveee your new blog design, it is sooooo cute! I hope you enjoy it! Congrats :)
IT IS SO PRETTY. I love the color scheme and the header is so adorable :D
OMG! Looks so so so SO pretty, I’m loving the new design. Congrats!
Zaira F says
It’s so pretty and neat!! I love it so much, and I love the color scheme as well!
I really don’t know what to say.
The new design is so amazing gorgeous bootiful awesome cute and I CAN’T EVEN RIGHT NOW. I think Mitchii must be one of the most creative, inspiring and wonderful blog designers out there, so you’re SUPER lucky to have gotten her to make one for you before she suddenly up and closed shop! (What happened, though?!)
ARE YOU SERIOUSLY ASKING ME TO CHOOSE MY FAV PART OF THIS DESIGN.
LAHV IT TOO MUCH.
Now I’m seriously lusting after Mitchii’s design skills in a totally not creepy way.
Cynthia @ Jellyfish Reads says
Oh my gosh that’s so pretty. *_____* The colours are all so beautiful and the whole design that makes me feel so happy and relaxed. It’s amazing! <3 The crab is adorable!
Mitchii @ The Aeropapers says
Oh wow, it was long process now that I seen the evolution, haha. I’m glad it turn out ok. Happy new design!!! *throws confetti*
Rosie // Rosie Reads says
CEE!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! You’re right, it WAS totally worth the wait! The hermit crab is so freaking perfect and the typewriter! It’s so beautiful and so completely YOU! :D
Sana // artsy musings of a bibliophile says
I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT. IS AMAZING.
I totally get what you mean about letting go of the design that’s so perfect in the head but not on paper-slash-screen. Still, I’m happy that you found something that’s still you without the narwhals (though, I really want to see the two narwhals wearing scarves? I just really love scarves okay).
I love the typewriter and the crab (what a hermit!) and the waves and just, too good. Great work, Mitchii, Cee, Charlotte, and Nicki. So worth the wait.
Nikki @ The Paper Sea says
OH MY GODDDDDDDDD!
You know, I completely forgot about this. When your hiatus page thing went up, I was like, “Oh! I bet Cee’s getting a new design!” And then I saw people tweeting compliments to you so I loaded up your blog, and I was like, hmmm, this design feels really familiar… HA! I forgot you showed me an early draft! ;D
I think the revisions Mitchii has made since then are excellenttttttt. I love the colours, and the Lullaby font is perfect! And of course, your crab favicon is the CUTEST.
I LOVE IT SO MUCH, CEE. <333
So cute!!! I love the crab (and totally got the reference right away)!! The color scheme is really pretty and original, and I think it fits you well :)
Kay @ It's a Book Life says
Love the new look! It is super cute and has a great color scheme. :D
Anne @ Lovely Literature says
It looks fantastic! I’m a big fan of typewriters too — we use them for rating icons and our bloglovin link. The pairing with the crab is adorable though! What’s the text say?
Miranda @ Tempest Books says
Oh my god oh my god IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL. I know I’m a little late on this, but I love it SO MUCH. It’s probably one of my favorite blog designs ever :) Seriously, it’s amazing.