You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!
During the last week of February, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!
And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of May. Let’s take a look.
|KIDS + TEENS|
Dog Man: Lord of the Flea by Dav Pilkey | To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han | The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas | Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling | P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
Kristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan | Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana Simpson | Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han | The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson | Sisters by Raina Telgemeir
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate | Holes by Louis Sachar | The House With A Clock In the Walls by John Bellairs | Dog Man and Cat Kid by Dav Pilkey | I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez
Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward | Under Fire: Reporting from the Front Lines of the Trump White House by April Ryan | Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in LA by Luis J. Rodriguez | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson | You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero |
The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater | 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson | Born A Crime by Trevor Noah | The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz | Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman | In Pieces by Sally Field | The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene | Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari | 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari
- Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
- Like August, the Crazy Rich Asians were 1, 2, 3 in my store’s topselling fiction books!! Also, the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before trilogy were part of the top 15 in kids/teens books. Asians ftw!
- August was The Adventure Zone, September was Monstress. YES.
- The Kids/Teens section is dominated by graphic novels. What can I say, kids love graphic novels.
- These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
- I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her Flowers, Pillow Thoughts, Milk and Honey, and 2Fish.