February 5, 2020 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one! During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of January 2020—the brand new year! 

FICTION

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Little Women by Louisa May Alcott | There There by Tommy OrangeLittle Fires Everywhere by Celeste NgAmerican Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

Pachinko by Min Jin LeeThe Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy | The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi CoatesThe Source of Self-Regard by Toni MorrisonMy Hero Academia Vol. 1

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieOne Day in December by Josie SilverThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Fifth Season by N.K. JemisinThe Lady of the Lake (The Witcher #7) by Andrezj Sapkowski

KIDS + TEENS

Dog Man: Fetch-22 by Dav Pilkey | Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi | Guts by Raina Telgemeier | Little Legends: Exceptional Men in Black History by Vashti Harrison

FGTeeV Presents Into the Game! by FGTeeVOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi | An Elephant & Piggie Biggie Volume 2! by Mo WillemsWrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #14) by Jeff Kinney 

Epoca: The Tree of Ecrof by Kobe Bryant and Ivy Claire | Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti HarrisonThe Cabin by Natasha Preston | The Baddest Day Ever (The Bad Guys #10) by Aaron BlabeyDog Man Unleashed by Dav Pilkey

NONFICTION

They Called Us Enemy by George Takei | Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez | The Four Agreements by Don Miguel RuizA Very Stable Genius by Philip Rucker and Carol LeonningYou Were Born For This by Chani Nicholas 

Talking to Strangers by Malcolm GladwellThe Mamba Mentality: How I Play by Kobe Bryant | The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark MansonJust Mercy by Bryan StevensonRich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

How To Win Friends & Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 48 Laws of Power by Robert GreeneCatch and Kill by Ronan FarrowBorn A Crime by Trevor NoahBarracoon by Zora Neale Hurston

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • There’s nothing like death (Kobe) and controversy to sell books (*ahem* American Dirt, which I hate that I’m seeing this book at work.) 
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow Thoughts, and Milk and Honey.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in January 2020”

1. This is very cool!! I’m always interested in what is selling at the stores beyond the NYT List. I was surprised to see LITTLE WOMEN there, but maybe the movie that came out inspired people. Also, the kid books are all SUPER familiar to me, as my son owns almost all of them :)

Leave a Reply