For May, I read consistently good books, and that’s all I ever want to do. (There was a bad apple, but the good outweighed the bad!) I got a major head start on June books, which makes me want to do it again for this month! I will say this again to the Book Gods: please continue this reading and reviewing streak.
For those who do not know, Too Much TBR is a way to help me see which books I really need to read and tackle them. Is it effective? Perhaps. It helps a lot seeing a visual of the books on my TBR pile.
Let’s discuss what I read last month, and what I’m reading this month!
|BACK IN MAY|
In May, I had eight priority books.
- Some Kind of Happiness with every fiber of my being! (Finley’s sadness and her writing are something I, and other readers, can relate to.) I am gonna push this book onto people to read until the end of time.
- Girl Against the Universe. Love seeing how Maguire overcomes her fear and anxiety and the positive portrayal of therapy.
- The Only Thing Worse Than You Is Me. Such a cute geeky book that was inspired by Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing. The bantering and references are so top!
- American Girls. Although the main character frustrated me, I loved seeing that her cynicism and about how regular people make really bad decisions that makes them seem “terrible” and where those decisions lead them.
- Lily and Dunkin. Good to see the experiences of this transgender girl and bipolar reader, but it’s not a very indepth exploration. It gets a conversation going though.
I ended up not reading three of the books, but unintentionally replaced it with three other reads. (Does that make sense?) I tried to read Traitor Angels, but it was too slow for my liking so I’ve put that book on the back burner until I get the desire to read it. I didn’t get Summer Days and Summer Nights or Smoke, but I may borrow them from the library. I read three other books in place of the ones I didn’t read: Hamilton: The Revolution (which is obviously so frickin’ good!), Monsters: A Love Story (ehhh, very shallow + cliche characters), and Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies.
|PRIORITY JUNE READS|
June TBR is actually shorter than the past few months, so I added a backlist book and July books.
- Because the Me Before Me movie comes out this week, I thought I should really read the book. I’m not entirely sure if I will get to it because it depends on my mood.
- I’m very excited about You Know Me Well (Nina LaCour + David Levithan! What a winner!), Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure (choose your own adventure Shakespeare + awesome art work!), The Geek’s Guide to Unrequited Love (another cute geekery!), and The Girls (girls + cults + 1960s, wonder how this is different to the YA American Girls).
- Compass South, a graphic novel, comes out at the end of the month. Middle Grade + Hope Larson + pirates + gangs = awesome.
Note: All these books here do not account for other books that may slip into my TBR list (because mood reading will probably happen) nor of the comics I will be reading. I’m sure I missed other books I want to read this month too, but since I can’t remember, it must not be priority, right? Let’s hope I make a dent in my TBR books for June!