For those who do not know, Too Much TBR is a way to help me see which books I really need to read and tackle them. Is it effective? Perhaps. It helps a lot seeing a visual of the books on my TBR pile.
Let’s get down to it.
|BACK IN JULY
In July, I finished two books (one of which was a graphic novel), and started a gazillion other books.
- One Year at Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks. Eh, it’s a very predictable story that relies heavily on stereotypes.
- Siren Queen by Nghi Vo. As I said in my review, Siren Queen “is a strange world set in a 1930s Hollywood—it’s full of monsters in human bodies and Faustian bargains in blood pacts that is never fully explained how or why.” I enjoyed it because of the commentary on Hollywood (damn shame about the lack of depth in the magical realism).
|PRIORITY AUGUST READS
- Babel: “Babel — a thematic response to The Secret History and a tonal response to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell — grapples with student revolutions, colonial resistance, and the use of translation as a tool of empire.” Dark academia with an Asian main character. Ready for this.
- Seven Days in June: “A second chance romance between a single mom/bestselling erotia writer and a reclusive award-winning novelist.“
- Mary: An Awakening in Terror: “A middlle-aged woman who moves back to her hometown to reconnect with her past butbegins having terrifying visions that echoes an infamous serial killer.“
|AUGUST BOOKS I WANT TO READ
Note: All these books here do not account for other books that may slip into my TBR list (because mood reading will probably happen) nor of the comics I will be reading. I’m sure I missed other books I want to read this month too, but since I can’t remember, it must not be priority, right? Let’s hope I make a dent in my TBR books for June!