Don’t Check Out This Book! by Kate Klise & M. Sarah Klise
• March 10, 2019 • Algonquin Young Readers
Website | Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Indiebound | Indigo | Library
Is the sweet town of Appleton ripe for scandal?
Consider the facts:
- Appleton Elementary School has a new librarian named Rita B. Danjerous. (Say it fast.)
- Principal Noah Memree barely remembers hiring her.
- Ten-year-old Reid Durr is staying up way too late reading a book from Ms. Danjerous’s controversial “green dot” collection.
- The new school board president has mandated a student dress code that includes white gloves and bow ties available only at her shop.
Sound strange? Fret not. Appleton’s fifth-grade sleuths are following the money, embracing the punny, and determined to the get to the funniest, most rotten core of their town’s juiciest scandal. Don’t miss this seedy saga!
I received this book for free from Algonquin Young Readers for review consideration. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
First sentence: Welcome to Appleton, Illinois. Home of the GIant Red Apples. Population:
800 713 620 479 198 83
The sweet town of Appleton has been thrown off its apple crate by a new librarian by the name of Rita B. Danjerous! Rita has quickly become a beloved member of the community bringing amazing books to the students at Appleton’s Elementary School, yet despised by Ivana Beprawpa, the new school board president, for going against the “manners and morals” she desperately want to bring back.
How does this clash of personalities and priorities affect this sweet as apple pie town?
Read more »