March 7, 2019 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of February 2019.

FICTION

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon JamesChina Rich Girlfriend by Kevin KwanThe Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris | Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

There There by Tommy OrangeCrazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan | Pachinko by Min Jin LeeMy Hero Academia Vol. 17The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessAn American Marriage by Tayari Jones1984 by George OrwellAfter by Anna ToddThe Alice Network by Kate Quinn

KIDS + TEENS

Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild by Dav PilkeyOn the Come Up by Angie ThomasThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasDrama by Raina TelgemeierDog Man and Cat Kid by Dav Pilkey

The Meltdown (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #13) by Jeff KinneyHilo: Book 5: Then Everything Went Wrong  by Judd WinickCaptain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman by Dav PilkeyKristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan | Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas by Dav Pilkey

King of Scars by Leigh BardugoHere We Are by Oliver JeffersDog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties by Dav PilkeyGravity Falls: Journal 3The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore

NONFICTION

Becoming by Michelle ObamaThe Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson | Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez | Born A Crime by Trevor NoahYou Are A Badass by Jen SinceroThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo

Educated by Tara Westover | 5 Love Languages by Gary ChapmanSalt Fat Acid Heat by Samin Nosrat | Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

The Truth About Men by DeVon Franklin | Calm the F*ck Down by Sarah Knight | The Truths We Hold by Kamala Harris | 31-Day Food Revolution by Ocean RobbinsZen As F*ck by Alyssa Nichols

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow ThoughtsMilk and Honey, and 2Fish.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Tags:

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in February 2019”

1. My library has been scanning a ton of copies of and places holds for Where the Crawdads Sing the past few weeks. I’m not surprised about Marie Kondo’s book being there with the show being out, we’ve had a lot of traffic for that one too.

I’m super excited to get to Black Leopard, Red Wolf at some point. I’ve heard some mixed things about it, so I’m curious to see where I’ll fall on that spectrum.

Leave a Reply