September 3, 2020 • Cee • Discussion

Annnnnnnd we are back with another Books in Hand!!

It has made a return after taking a few months off due to the pandemic. 

During the last week of February 2018, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of! And that’s what this post is—seeing the top selling books of August 2020!

FICTION

Dune by Frank HerbertThe Promised Neverland Vol. 1 | The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett | Circe by Madeline Miller | My Hero Academia Vol. 1

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoMexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-GarciaNormal People by Sally RooneyLovecraft Country by Matt RuffThe Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

The Long Call by Ann CleevesMoney Devils 1 by Ashley & JaQuavisFire & Blood by George R.R. MartinVenus in the Blindspot by Junji ItoThe Guest List by Lucy Foley

KIDS + TEENS

Midnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerRowley Jefferson’s Awesome Friendly Adventure by Jeff KinneyAct by Kayla Miller | The Shadow of Kyoshi (Avatar: Kyoshi #2) by F.C. YeeThe Mayflower (History Smashers series) by Kate Messner

Women’s Right to Vote (History Smashers series) by Kate MessnerThe Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson #1) by Rick RiordanThe War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker BradleySuicide Notes by Michael Thomas FordHurricane Katrina Rescue (Ranger in Time) by Kate Messner

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsThe Rise of Kyoshi (Avatar: Kyoshi #1) by F.C. YeeWe Were Liars by E. LockhartThe Black Kids by Christina Hammonds ReedThey All Die At the End by Adam Silvera

NONFICTION

Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel WilkersonToo Much and Never Enough by Mary L. Trump | White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo | The Four Agreements by Don Miguel RuizRich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

The Truths We Hold by Kamala HarrisCan’t Hurt Me by David GogginsBegin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Glaude Jr.Freedom Is A Constant Struggle by Angela Y. DavisAttached by Amir Levine

The Way of the Superior Man by David DeidaHow to Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. KendiBig Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close by Aminatou Sow | His Truth Is Marching On: John Lewis and The Power of Hope by Jon MeachamYou Were Born For This by Chani Nicholas

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
  • Lots of manga sold this month. 
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

One Response to “BOOKS IN HAND • What Customers Bought in August 2020”

1. I’m really happy to see the Kyoshi novels on this list!

Leave a Reply to Tasya @ The Literary Huntress