September 6, 2018 • Cee • Discussion

You ever want to know what people are buying in bookstores? Well, it so happens that I work at one!

During the last week of February, I pondered about what type of post to make for “Books in Hand.” At first, I planned to discuss all the books customers came in asking for or buying, but that’s a bit too much because everybody came in asking for different books, and I didn’t remember all of them. My boss showed me a way to check our store’s best selling books, and I found out what we sold a lot of!

And that’s what this post is—seeing the top ten selling books of May. Let’s take a look.

FICTION

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan | China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan | Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan | The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Artemis by Andy WeirMy Hero Academia Vol. 14 The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret AtwoodLess by Andrew Sean Greer | There There by Tommy Orange |

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer Ready Player One by Ernest ClineThe Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThe Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins by The McElroy Family and Casey Piestch | Less by Andrew Sean Greer

KIDS + TEENS

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasChildren of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi | Dog Man: Lord of the Flea by Dav PilkeyKristy’s Big Day (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #6) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan

Gravity Falls: Lost Legends by Alex Hirsch | Dog Man and Cat Kid by Dav Pilkey | Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana SimpsonThe Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Lost Continent (Wings of Fire #11) by Tui T. Sutherland

Sisters by Raina Telgemeir | Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Babysitter’s Club Graphic Novels #5) by Ann M. Martin and Gale Galligan | I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez | PopularMMOs Presents A Hole New World by PopularMMOs

NONFICTION

Unhinged: An Insider’s Account of the Trump White House by Omarosa | Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in LA by Luis J. Rodriguez | The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz | You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero | 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson

The Art and Science of Respect by James Prince | Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David GrannBetween the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi CoatesThe Plant Paradox by Steven R. Gundry | Calypso by David Sedaris

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari | I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamaraBorn A Crime by Trevor NoahThe Russia Hoax by Gregg JarrettBlack Klansman: Race, Hate, and the Undercover Investigation of a Lifetime by Ron Stallworth

NOTES:

• Every bookstore’s top-selling books will be different from each other. This list is just for my store.
    • YOU GUYS, THE CRAZY RICH ASIANS TRILOGY WERE THE TOP SELLING FICTION BOOKS AT MY STORE!!!! 1, 2, 3 SPOT. HUZZAH!!! It’s rare to see a series take one spot after the other.
    • It fills my heart with joy every time I ring up somebody who bought The Adventure Zone graphic novel. FELLOW MCELROY LOVERS!
    • No surprise that To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is #1 in Kids/Teens. (That movie was sooo cute.)
    • The Kids/Teens section is dominated by graphic novels. What can I say, kids love graphic novels.
    • I’m surprised The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck wasn’t part of the top 15 because that usually is always on the bestseller list.
  • These books seem to be forever on the top-selling list: The Alchemist, anything Dog Man or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, You Are A Badass, The Four Agreements, the 5 Love Languages, and Milk and Honey. (Don’t be surprise if you see these books here or in future “Books in Hand” posts. People love these books.)
  • I omitted the poetry list because it didn’t change from February, so it was The Sun and Her FlowersPillow ThoughtsMilk and Honey, and 2Fish.
Were there any surprises? What did you think would be a top-selling book? What books from this list have you read? 

Leave a Reply